Subject: Re: Signed git-tag doesn't find default key

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 20:21:58 +0100

On Friday 2006, October 20 17:32, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> and then do an "adduid", and then add your UID _without_ the "(Google)" in
> there, and that should solve all your problems.

Yeah, obviously that's one way; and while it doesn't really matter to me, it 
seems poor form that git doesn't work with gpg as it is.  While one could of 
course use the "-u" switch, if that is the answer, then why bother with 
having the "-s" switch at all?

> You're probably better off with something like
>
> 	git var GIT_COMMITTER_IDENT | sed 's/\(.*\)<\(.*\)>\(.*\)/\2/'

I've actually settled on:

: ${username:=$(expr "z$tagger" : 'z.*<\(.*\)>')}

In git-tag.sh.

> That said, I've never understood why gpg matches on the comment field.
> Dammit, it _should_ find the key anyway. Stupid program.

I think it's doing the right thing unfortunately.  If you search on any part
 "Andy Parkins"
 "<[email-masked]>"
 "[email-masked]"
 "andyparkins"
It finds it fine; the only thing it doesn't find is
 "Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>"
Which I suppose is fair enough, as it's a fairly specific format to be 
searching for.

I'm going to advocate my change of only searching on the email address for 
finding the key - there shouldn't be two keys with the same email address 
anyway, so there shouldn't be a danger of ambiguity of key.  Also, it deals 
with the case when someone has entered a different name in git and in their 
gpg UID.  For example, I would think it shouldn't be a problem that I like to 
be called "Andy" on the git list, and yet want my key to say "A. D. 
Parkins", "Andrew Parkins" or "Sparky McFly". 

Now, I think I've written my name far, far too many times in this email.

Sparky McFly
-- 
Dr Andrew Parkins, M Eng (Hons), AMIEE
[email-masked]