Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Example Cogito Addon - cogito-bundle

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 10:36:44 +0200

Matthieu Moy wrote:
> Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>>> It's my understanding that most changes discussed on lkml are provided
>>> as a series of patches.  Bazaar bundles are intended as a direct
>>> replacement for patches in that use case.
>>
>> As _series_ of patches. You have git-format-patch + git-send-email
>> to format and send them, git-am to apply them (as patches, not as branch).
>>
>> I was under an impression that user sees only mega-patch of all the
>> revisions in bundle together, and rest is for machine consumption only.
> 
> Nothing prevents you from using series of bundles.
> 
> A bundle for a single revision looks like a patch with a few comments
> on top and bottom. _If_ you have several revisions in your patch, you
> get the diff as human readable, and the intermediate revisions as
> MIME-encoded.
> 
> For big changes, people do send several bundles.
> 
> So, a bundle is a direct replacement for a patch, not for series of
> patches.

Ah, that explains this. So why people use bundles instead of patches
(with some metainfo like commit message)? And do bzr have command to
apply in correct ordering series of bundles send either chain replied
to (each patch in the series is reply to previous patch) or being
replies to patchseries introductory message?

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland