Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Example Cogito Addon - cogito-bundle

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 12:34:31 +0200

Matthieu Moy wrote:

> Another relevant difference between a patch and a bundle is that the
> bundles knows its ancestor, so, when you apply the bundle, it builds
> the new revision with exact patching. If you need a merge, then it
> will happen exactly in the same way as a merge between two branches
> (ie. three-way merge for example).

By the way, if patch send via email is git enchanced patch, with
[shortened] sha1 of blobs (file contents), and our repository has
the blob the patch is supposedly to apply to (but for example line
of development moved forwards) we can request via --3way command
option to git-am to fall back on 3-way merge if the patch doesn't
apply cleanly.

It is not as powerfull as merge of branches, but it is sufficient
in most cases. And in other cases you have to resolve conflict by
hand, anyway; git-rerere (which records resolving of conflicts and
reuses them) can help there.
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland