Subject: git-imap-send and "From "

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 17:51:17 +0100

Hello,

I've been playing around with git; made some simple patches for git and 
thought I would forward them to the mailing list.  I did this using

git-format-patch --stdout --signoff -M -B | git-imap-send

With the following in .gitconfig and courier-imap as the IMAP server.

[imap]
  Folder = "INBOX.Drafts"
  Tunnel = "ssh -q mailhost /usr/bin/imapd ./Maildir 2> /dev/null"

This appeared to work as expected.  A nicely formatted patch appeared in my 
drafts mailbox for checking and sending; which I did.  However, those emails 
caused a few problems; like:

"Can you please not send your emails to "unlisted recipients?"  It
breaks my mail filtering and your mails don't end up going to my "git"
folder."

As far as I knew, I hadn't done this.  The email looked fine when I checked it 
in KMail.  So, I went back and had a look at the raw source of the patch 
email that I'd sent and found this:

From 0e3c0aefc3276bd271553d171ed9bcc52d85230e Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 15:24:40 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] Use email address only for looking up signing key in git-tag

It's that first line that's the problem.  It was generated by git-format-patch 
of course, however, I assume that it was intended to be stripped on the way 
to the IMAP server.  So,

 * Courier's /usr/bin/imapd should have stripped it and didn't
 * git-imap-send shouldn't have sent it

Can anyone help me out with which it should be?  Or point me at the relevant 
RFC?

While I was poking around I found that git is hard coded with

printf("From %s Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001\n", sha1);

Was it intentional that the date be hard coded like that?

Andy
-- 
Dr Andrew Parkins, M Eng (Hons), AMIEE
[email-masked]