Subject: Re: VCS comparison table

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 18:13:56 +0200

Jan Hudec wrote:

> Also programmers usually don't develop even the single logical step as a
> single commit. Instead they they also commit to backup their work,

In git you can backup your work on temporary branch; besides there
is git commit --amend to correct last commit.

> when they try something they think they may in future return, when they
> need to continue on another computer and so on. And these commits are
> generally not logical steps. Also the steps are often not in a logical
> order. Therefore showing diff for each commit in the bundle often does
> not make sense.

That is why before sending patch series based on some feature branch,
you should at least rebase the branch on top of current work, to ensure
that the series would apply cleanly.

If feature branch/patch series needs cleanup (going from "answer" to
"solution" http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/4/7/176), i.e. patch (commit)
reordering, joining two patches into one, patch splitting, you can
use git-cherry-pick, git-cherry-pick --no-commit and git commit --amend
combination, or git-format-patch, patch editing and reordering, and git-am.
Or just use StGit or pg.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland