Subject: Re: VCS comparison table

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 11:05:25 +0200

Jan Hudec wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 04:05:18PM -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
>> Carl Worth wrote:
>>> On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 21:06:40 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:

>>>> Bazaar encourages you to stick lots and lots of branches in your
>>>> repository.  They don't even have to be related.  For example, my repo
>>>> contains branches of bzr, bzrtools, Meld, and BazaarInspect.
>>> 
>>> Git allows this just fine. And lots of branches belonging to a single
>>> project is definitely the common usage. It is not common (nor
>>> encouraged) for unrelated projects to share a repository, since a git
>>> clone will fetch every branch in the repository.
>> 
>> Right.  This is a difference between Bazaar and Git that's I'd
>> characterize as being "branch-oriented" vs "repository-oriented".  We'll
>> see more of this below.
> 
> This is one of things I on the other hand like better on bzr than git.
> Because it is really branches and not repositories that I usually care
> about.

That's probably because you are used to Bazaar-NG, and your habits
speaking. Think of git clone of repository as of bzr "branch".

For example git encourages using many short and longer-lived feature
branches; I don't see bzr encouraging this workflow.
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland