Subject: Re: Commit-ish shortcut for immediate parent range

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 21:17:45 +0100

On Sunday 2006, October 22 18:25, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Umm. That's not actually a very sensible operation. It's only sensible in
> the special case of "diff", and for that special case, what we do is to
> actually just say that the _command_ is special, not the range.
>
> It's called "git show".

You're entirely correct, that that is what I was looking for in that 
particular case.  However, the reason I raised it as a question was that I 
was poking around with git (which I'm enjoying immensely by the way - it 
really is as perfect an SCM as I have ever used) and in short succession did

git-diff X^..X
git-log X^..X
git-format-patch X^..X

I imagined that I would eventually stumble on other git commands where I would 
want to do this operation again.  I'm sure I will have picked an incorrect 
command in each case, however, they all did exactly what I wanted so I 
stopped looking for the "right" command :-)

Andy

-- 
Dr Andrew Parkins, M Eng (Hons), AMIEE
[email-masked]