Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/4] gitweb: Whitespace cleanup - tabs are for indent, spaces are for align (2)

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 23:27:01 +0200

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> 
> On Sun, 22 Oct 2006, Jakub Narebski wrote:
> > 
> > To be true I do those "whitespace cleanup" patches when I notice
> > that something is mis-aligned for _my_ tab width (2 spaces).
> 
> Oh, wow.
> 
> You have clearly been damaged by some nasty GNU coding style or similar.
> 
> Please immediately turn tabs into 8 character hard-tabs, and read the 
> kernel Documentation/CodingStyle document.

2 character wide spaces are minimal width indent one can work with.
And to reduce line width I use the minimal indent with. Yes, I know
that I should correct coding style instead...

Using 2 characters wide tabs for gitweb stems also from the fact
that I could not configure Emacs and cperl-mode to automatically
indent with tabs (probably because many Emacsers think that
TabsAreEvil); I should probably set some indent/offset variable
to the tab-width value, or something...
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland