Subject: Re: VCS comparison table

From: "Matthew D. Fuller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 11:46:06 -0500

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 10:42:23PM -0700 I heard the voice of
Linus Torvalds, and lo! it spake thus:
> 
> Well, I would use the globally unique ones, certainly. It's the only
> thing that makes sense.

So would I, and it is.

> Using the _same_ names everywhere is just better. 

This is just where we split on it.  All else being equal, sure, but
all else is never equal.  Most of my time is spent working forward
along one branch (different branches at different times, of course,
but at any given moment I'm almost certainly only concerned about one
branch), and having a different and advantageous localized naming
scheme there is a benefit I celebrate.  If most of my time were
instead spent comparing and contrasting and intersecting and
cross-breeding branches, it would probably be as worthless to me as it
apparently is to you.

-- 
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  [email-masked]
Systems/Network Administrator |  http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/
           On the Internet, nobody can hear you scream.