Subject: Re: VCS comparison table

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 10:46:56 -0400

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 11:34:09AM +0200, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Horst H. von Brand wrote:
> >Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >>19. Ease of Use. Hmmm... I don't know for Git. I personally find it very
> >>easy to use, but I have not much experiences with other SCM. I wonder why
> >>Bazaar has "No" there...
> >
> >Extremely subjective. Easy to learn doesn't cut it either.
> 
> This one just needs to go.

It's certainly a hard question to answer, and will never be answered
completely, but unfortunately it's also a really *important* question.
The best SCM in the world isn't much use if I can't convince my
coworkers to learn the thing.

So I think it's helpful to attempt to find out whether we have a problem
here or not, even if the problem is more one of perception than reality.
Though obviously it would be more helpful to have something more
detailed than just a yes or no answer to "is git easy to use?"

> Could possibly be replaced with "Has tutorial/documentation online" or
> some such. No SCM is really intuitive to users that haven't
> experienced any of them before, so the only thing that really matters
> is how much documentation one can find online and how up-to-date it
> is.

Documentation helps, though sometimes extensive documentation is a sign
of a problem--it takes a lot more documentation to explain how to manage
a branch in CVS than it does in any sensible system....