Subject: Re: fetching packs and storing them as packs

From: Shawn Pearce <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 23:52:54 -0400

Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Shawn Pearce wrote:
> 
> > Eran Tromer <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >>
> >> It would be nice to have whoever creates a pack-*.keep file put
> >> something useful as the content of the file, so we'll know what to clean
> >> up after abnormal termination:
> >> 
> >> $ grep -l ^git-receive-pack $GIT_DIR/objects/pack/pack-*.keep
> > 
> > Yes, that's a very good idea.  When I do the git-receive-pack
> > implementation tonight I'll try to dump useful information to the
> > .keep file such that you can easily grep for the stale .keeps
> > and decide which ones should go.
> 
> Perhaps git-count-packs (or enhanced git-count-objects, or git-count-stuff;
> whatever it would be named) could also list (with some option) the reasons
> for packs to be kept...

That would be more like 'git ls-packs' to me, but as Junio pointed
out why add a command just to count packs, and as others have said
recently "Git has too many commands!".

<funny-and-not-to-be-taken-seriously>
I like git-count-stuff.  So generic.  Maybe we can shove
git-pickaxe in as the --count-lines-and-authors-andthings option of
git-count-stuff, seeing as how some people didn't like its name.  :-)
</funny-and-not-to-be-taken-seriously>

--