Subject: Re: [PATCH/RFC (take 2)] gitweb: New improved patchset view

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 10:43:21 +0100

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> ..., without
>> resolving the strange filenames problem (it would be nice if somebody was
>> to send code; well Junio send patch to address core git filename quoting
>> issue).
> 
> Having showed that patch, I do not think it is a good way to go.
> 
> I think the UI layer like gitweb should have freedom to choose
> its own pathname handling, and should read from -z output.

That's a very good idea. I'll send separate patch (if noone else will
do this, that is) which would convert gitweb to always use -z output,
both git-ls-tree and git-diff-tree... oh, well, there is no -z patch
output, so in patch part we would have to replace git quoted part by
gitweb quoted part.

BTW gitweb has to do it's own pathname handling, at least LF, perhaps
TAB, perhaps other control characters like ESC; quote quoting character
and mark filename as quoted somewhat (it can be with CSS style, not
necessary by surrounding with some kind of quotes; besides that can
also be added via CSS in modern enough browsers using :before and
:after pseudo-elements and 'content' property).

-- 
Jakub Narebski