Subject: Re: [PATCH] Introduce git-mirror, a tool for exactly mirroring another repository.

From: Shawn Pearce <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 09:55:55 -0500

Sergey Vlasov <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 00:46:41 -0400 Shawn Pearce wrote:
> 
> > Sometimes its handy to be able to efficiently backup or mirror one
> > Git repository to another Git repository by employing the native
> > Git object transfer protocol.  But when mirroring or backing up a
> > repository you really want:
> >
> >   1) Every object in the source to go to the mirror.
> >   2) Every ref in the source to go to the mirror.
> >   3) Any ref removed from the source to be removed from the mirror.
> >   4) Automatically repack and prune the mirror when necessary.
> >
> > and since git-fetch doesn't do 2, 3, and 4 here's a tool that does.
> 
> Is this patch forgotten, abandoned or what?

Its waiting around for someone to clean it up.  :-)

Junio didn't accept it as there were a number of issues that he
identified in the patch.  I still have them in my inbox but have
not had time to go back and fix them.  Since I haven't actually had
a real need for git-mirror it has been low on my priority list of
"git things to do".

Your message pointed out a number of issues with the current version
that would be worth fixing before accepting it into git.git.  I agree
with many of them, especially about the direct ref manipulation.
git-mirror was written before the Linus packed ref stuff came
along, so git-update-ref didn't have a -d option at the time...
otherwise I would have used it.

--