Subject: Re: git fetch with multiple remotes failing?

From: Petr Baudis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 01:12:42 +0100

Dear diary, on Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 05:32:06PM CET, I got a letter
where Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]> said that...
> On Tue, 31 Oct 2006, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > $ cat .git/remotes/origin
> > URL: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
> > Pull: +refs/heads/master:refs/heads/linus_master
> > $ cat .git/remotes/jejb-scsi-misc-2.6
> > URL: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jejb/scsi-misc-2.6.git
> > Pull: +refs/heads/master:refs/heads/jejb-scsi-misc-2.6
> > $ git fetch -f origin jejb-scsi-misc-2.6
> > error: no such remote ref refs/heads/jejb-scsi-misc-2.6
> > Fetch failure:
> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
> > 
> > Looks I must give remotes one by one?
> 
> Yes. A single "fetch" will only ever connect to a single repository. If 
> you want to fetch from multiple repositories, you have to do multiple 
> connections, and thus multiple "fetch"es.

Note that I made a (hackish) patch for fetching from multiple
repositories in one connection (look for "Allow fetching from multiple
repositories at once"). It's currently in limbo since IIRC Junio wanted
some benchmarks, I don't have time to do them and the group I did this
for (the xorg people) has shown zero interest in testing the patch
either.

-- 
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
Stuff: http://pasky.or.cz/
#!/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj
$/=unpack('H*',$_);$_=`echo 16dio\U$k"SK$/SM$n\EsN0p[lN*1