Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] gitweb: Use git-for-each-ref to generate list of heads and/or tags

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 04:26:32 +0100

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> writes:
 
>> CHANGES IN OUTPUT: Before, if ref in refs/tags was tag pointing to
>> commit we used committer epoch as epoch for ref, and used tagger epoch
>> as epoch only for tag pointing to object of other type. If ref in
>> refs/tags was commit, we used committer epoch as epoch for ref (see
>> parse_ref; we sorted in gitweb by 'epoch' field).
> 
> I think that behaviour was inconsistent and just silly.  Using
> creatordate consistently is better so if the code generates what
> the commit log claims to, I think that is fine (I haven't looked
> at it deeply yet).

Well, I _could_ argue on the former behaviour, namely that we use
committerdate when available (when ref points to commit, or to tag
pointing to commit), and if it is not available we use taggerdate
if possible.

The latter is that we use always "creation" date.

-- 
Jakub Narebski