Subject: Re: [PATCH 4/4] Show the branch type after the branch name for remotes

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 09:33:40 +0100

On Friday 2006 November 03 02:40, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Andy Parkins <[email-masked]> writes:
> > Instead of prefixing the remote branches with "remotes/" suffix them with
> > "[read only]"
>
> This is a change in UI and while I understand why you want to
> say r/o instead of remotes/, I think this needs a bit more
> thought and discussion.  People should not be feeding the output
> of "git branch" Porcelainish to their scripts, but you'll never
> know...

I intentionally made this patch in such a way as to leave the original form 
available.  I haven't added a switch to show the original form, but it's 
there if it's needed.

The reason I thought it would be acceptable is that the output changed fairly 
significantly when git-branch went builtin.

Here's the original and my "git-branch -r" run on my git repository
$ git-branch -r
remotes/up/maint
remotes/up/master
remotes/up/next
remotes/up/pu
$ ./git-branch -r
  momentum/master
  up/maint
  up/master
  up/next
  up/pu

I've not touched the "-r" path, so this is the same as the unpatched builtin 
branch.  The "remotes/" prefix is removed in refs.c by for_each_remote_ref() 
with do_for_each_ref("refs/remotes/", fn, 13, cb_data); and the spaces are 
added because print_ref_list() has only one printing path and that always 
includes spaces.

For me personally, I find my git-branch output more useful because in it's 
unswitched form it shows me all branches.  However, I can easily put this 
behaviour under a switch or, and this would get my vote, put the original 
behaviour (i.e. show local branches only) under a switch.

Which would you like?  If any.

> By the way, does "git branch -r" (without any of your patches)
> even say "remotes/"?

I haven't touched the "-r" path, so that output should be unaffected.  As 
mentioned above, git-branch.sh did include "remotes/", new builtin branch 
does not, but does include "  " at the beginning of every line.

Andy

-- 
Dr Andy Parkins, M Eng (hons), MIEE