Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/4] Default to displaying /all/ non-tag refs, not just locals

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 09:47:20 +0100

On Friday 2006 November 03 02:40, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> That is a change in behaviour and given that we introduced
> remotes for the explicit purpose of not to clutter the local
> branch namespace, I doubt defaulting to _show_ remotes is a good

Really?  I had imagined it was to prevent accidental checking out of an 
upstream-tracking branch.  Also; I don't think "not cluttering the namespace" 
is the same as "not showing multiple namespaces".  The local namespace 
remains as uncluttered as it ever was.  This is a question of what to 
display.

Assuming my "mixed mode" display thing were in place, doesn't that make the 
two choices of UI

1)
 git-branch            : show local branches
 git-branch --all      : show local and remote branches
 git-branch -r         : show remote branches
2)
 git-branch            : show local and remote branches
 git-branch --local    : show local branches
 git-branch -r         : show remote branches

In case 2) the switch is simply selecting a filter, and so fits in with 
the "-r" better.

Andy

-- 
Dr Andy Parkins, M Eng (hons), MIEE