Subject: Re: [PATCH] gitweb: protect blob and diff output lines from controls.

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 10:34:41 +0100

Dnia czwartek 9. listopada 2006 02:10, Junio C Hamano napisał:
> Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Well, the pathname has the limit that it must be in single line
>> after quoting. The "blob" output is multipage.
> 
> I honestly have _no_ idea what distincition you are seeing
> here.  Both blob and diff output are processed one line at a
> time and its result would be on a single line too.

I was thinking about _conceptual_ difference, not technical.
(Perhaps I should make it more clear.) 

Pathname is item (or part of item in the case of page_path)
which is contained (and must be contained) in single line.
It is also expected (although if we follow this expectation
is up to us) that the pathname would quote special characters
similarly to how shell/operating system quotes pathnames
(e.g. in ls output).

"Blob" output on the other hand ("blob" view and patch part of
"blobdiff" and "commitdiff" views) is [a part of] larger, multiline
whole. One could also expect that special characters would be
quoted like editor quotes special characters. (Of course question
is: which editor?)

This of course is complicate by single line output like subject
or authorship, or signoff, which is not pathname.

All this discussion shows that gitweb quoting is more complicated
that I thought.
-- 
Jakub Narebski