Subject: Re: gitk broken or user error?

From: Shawn Pearce <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 00:20:07 -0500

Seth Falcon <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I get the following error when invoking gitk with any command line
> argument, for example, 'gitk --all':
> 
>     ziti:~/proj/R-devel seth$ gitk --all
>     Error in startup script: unknown option "-state"
>         while executing
>     ".bar.view entryconf 3 -state normal"
>         invoked from within
>     "if {$cmdline_files ne {} || $revtreeargs ne {}} {
>         # create a view for the files/dirs specified on the command line
>         set curview 1
>         set selec..."
>         (file "/Users/seth/scm/bin/gitk" line 6298)

You are not alone on this.  I see the same thing on my Mac and it
makes it quite difficult to use gitk.  However the same version of
gitk does not have this problem on Windows.  Its clearly related
to platform differences.

Of course Windows is unable to open a gitk window without it
being collapsed down to only the titlebar, and is also unable to
sucessfully reread the user's ~/.gitk file, but that's another bug...

I really should try to figure out what these problems are, but gitk
is 6323 lines of Tcl/Tk code which I'm not all too familiar with,
and I've got my own growing mass of ~2473 lines of Tcl/Tk code in
git-gui to worry about right now...

--