Subject: Re: Non-ASCII paths and git-cvsserver

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 19:57:48 +0100

Dnia poniedziałek 13. listopada 2006 19:30, Robin Rosenberg napisał:
> måndag 13 november 2006 15:20 skrev Jakub Narebski:
>> sf wrote:
>>> Thanks, Junio. Paths with umlauts are returned correctly now both in
>>> UTF-8 and ISO-8859-1. I guess git-cvsserver is now as encoding agnostic
>>> as git core.
>>
>> By the way, now that git has per user config file, ~/.gitconfig, perhaps
>> it is time to add i18n.filesystemEncoding configuration variable, to
>> automatically convert between filesystem encoding (somthing you usually
>> don't have any control over) and UTF-8 encoding of paths in tree objects.
> 
> I'd prefer git to store filenames and comments in UTF-8 and convert on 
> input/output when and if it is necessary rather than forcing everybody to 
> take the hit. Most systems, but far from all, already use UTF-8 so it's a 
> noop for them. The only reason I want conversion is for the years to come 
> where we still live in two worlds of non-utf-8 and utf-8 and then forget 
> about everything non-utf-8, rather than carry around the baggage forever.

That was my idea, to have i18n.filesystemEncoding configuration variable
to convert between filesystem encoding (which is usually something you don't
have control over, and which depends from place to place, but not from
repository to repository) and UTF-8 encoding git would store filenames.

-- 
Jakub Narebski