Subject: Re: Cleaning up git user-interface warts

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 23:04:33 +0100

Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Jakub Narebski wrote:

>> We can always have --merge arguments to git-pull, and --fetch argument to
>> git-merge.
> 
> That would be a complete abomination if you want my opinion.
> 
> Please let git-pull actually pull stuff from a remote place, and 
> git-merge actually merge stuff only.  Let's keep simple concepts mapped 
> to simple commands please.  Nothing prevents _you_ from scripting more 
> involved operations with a single command of your liking afterwards.

Do we want to abandon completely "single-branch" workflow, where you
don't use tracking branch, only merge directly into your working branch?
That is the cause to (unused by most) future git-merge (replacement for
git-pull .) --fetch=<remote>[#<branch>] option.

I'm not that sure about --merge option, but it could be useful, at least
to have current automatic "Merge branch '<branch>' of <URL>" commit message.
-- 
Jakub Narebski