Subject: Re: [PATCH] gitweb: Atom feeds

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 12:36:18 +0100

Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Andreas Fuchs <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Jakub Narebski wrote:
>>> Andreas Fuchs <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> 
>>>> * Wrap the commit message in <pre>
>>> We use <div class="pre"> in "commit" view if I remember correctly.
>>
>> That's ok for rendered HTML output, but in my experience, the way feed
>> readers interpret that ranges from "badly" to "not at all"; it's better
>> to stick to explicit structure hints only in feeds. /-:

True. "<pre>" in RSS feed is better (I don't know if you can give CSS
for RSS, be it RSS 2.01 or Atom; rather not).

>> So, this is the only thing I haven't fixed in the attached patch (:

Good.

>> In addition to the above points, the attached patch emits a
>> Last-Changed: HTTP response header field, and doesn't compute the feed
>> body if the HTTP request type was HEAD. This helps keep the web server
>> load down for well-behaved feed readers that check if the feed needs
>> updating.

Very nice.

>> Hope you like it,
> 
> Seems sane to me.  Jakub, how do you like this one?  

I like it. Ack.

> If it looks  Ok to you, please arrange to include your one-liner
> that this depends on and forward a readily applicable patch with
> appropriate commit log message.

Which one liner? As far as I can see the patch does NOT use
href(-full=>1,...) but esc_url(...).

Perhaps this is for next patch.

BTW I have encountered something calles Atom Publishing Protocol (APP):
perhaps we should also add this in addition to currently used OPML.
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Torun, Poland