Subject: Re: [RFC] Submodules in GIT

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:30:49 +0000

On Thursday 2006 November 30 15:20, Sven Verdoolaege wrote:

> You can work on the submodule independently.

It's not independent if any part of it is in the supermodule.

> > some of the development of the submodule is contained in the supermodule
> > then it's not a submodule anymore.
>
> On the contrary, that's exactly what a submodule is supposed to be.

I don't think so.  I think it's just made some complicated normal repository.

> How are you going to checkout the right commit of the lixcb repo if
> you didn't store it in the supermodule ?

Well, I know what the commit is /that/ was all that was stored.  So I 
(actually supermodule-git does):

cd $DIRECTORY_ASSOCIATED_WITH_SUBMODULE
git checkout -f $COMMIT_FROM_SUPERMODULE

Obviously, this is grossly simplified.  It also requires that HEAD be allowed 
to be an arbitrary commit rather than a branch, but that's already been 
generally agreed upon as a good thing.

Andy
-- 
Dr Andy Parkins, M Eng (hons), MIEE