Subject: Re: git and bzr

From: Theodore Tso <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:01:22 -0500

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 01:25:19PM +0100, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Unless you do "git update-index" (and thus are already using the index) 
> on any files, "git diff" shows you exactly the changes between your last 
> commit and the working tree. There's nothing magic, odd or confusing 
> about it, no matter which scm you come from.

Until you make the mistake of reading the git-diff man page, at which
point the novice git user runs screaming into the night...

       Show changes between two ents, an ent and the working tree, an
       ent and the index file, or the index file and the working
       tree. The combination of what is compared with what is
       determined by the number of ents given to the command.

       * When no <ent> is given, the working tree and the index file
          is compared, using git-diff-files.

       * When one <ent> is given, the working tree and the named tree
          is compared, using git-diff-index. The option --cached can
          be given to compare the index file and the named tree.

       * When two <ent>s are given, these two trees are compared using
          git-diff-tree.

Looking at the man page, it does raise one interesting question ---
So exactly what is the difference between Treebeard and Quickbeam?

And how many working trees do we need before we call it an Entmoot?  :-)