Subject: Re: git blame [was: git and bzr]

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 17:24:22 -0500

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 11:17:12PM +0100, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, Carl Worth wrote:
> 
> > Here's a crazy idea. How about a "git tutorial" builtin or "git example" 
> > or something that would create a repository into some useful state for 
> > demonstrating something.
> 
> That sounds fine! Actually, it should be very simple to turn the tutorial 
> into such a script, displaying the command with an explanation, and 
> executing the command. It could even call gitk from time to time, so the 
> user can form a mental model of the ancestor graph.

Currently tutorial.txt doesn't work like that--there are places where it
just tells the user to edit a file, or make a few commits, without
listing commands to do so.  It also isn't linear.  That could all be
"fixed", but I think the result would just make it more tedious.

But I agree that a "git tutorial" command to set up a canonical example
repository might be fun.