Subject: Re: [PATCH] Make git-commit cleverer - have it figure out whether it needs -a automatically

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 10:59:00 +0000

On Thursday 2006 November 30 16:28, Jakub Narebski wrote:

> Insount on #git pointed out fragility of this solution with respect
> to adding/removing/moving files, which dirties index (which might not be
> understood by newbie user: "git commit" used to work, but doesn't work the
> same when I added some files).

It does, provided they only added files and didn't change anything else.  If 
they did then we're out of it for this patch anyway.

Anyway, this is only meant to help ease people into the index.  As discussed 
elsewhere, hiding the index is a silly policy.

This patch isn't /just/ for the newbies by the way (who are already confused, 
so that hasn't changed), I know about the index, but I still like it.  
Remember, all it's really saying is "when commit would do nothing, do 
something".  So it only takes away an option that you can't have been using 
anyway because it didn't do anything.

Andy
-- 
Dr Andy Parkins, M Eng (hons), MIEE