Subject: Re: [PATCH] Make git-commit cleverer - have it figure out whether it needs -a automatically

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 12:33:20 +0000

On Friday 2006 December 01 11:15, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> I think another exception should be needed.  If the index does
> not match the working tree, it should not default to "-a".

No problem: just don't apply the patch :-)  What you've asked for leaves it as 
a no-op.

This patch activates "-a" when the index equals HEAD.  i.e. git-commit would 
do nothing in this situation.  If it is disabled when the index doesn't match 
the working tree, then we're back to "do nothing".  i.e. HEAD==index==working 
tree.

> So, please turn this "cleverness" off when the index does not
> match the working tree.

How does that help you?  You've updated the index manually, so the 
automatic "-a" is already disabled.  Without this patch you would still have 
committed the wrong thing.

 $ edit builtin-blame.c
 $ git update-index builtin-pickaxe.c
 $ git commit

What is that you would like to have happened at this point?

Andy
-- 
Dr Andy Parkins, M Eng (hons), MIEE