Subject: Re: [RFC] Submodules in GIT

From: Martin Waitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 16:07:46 +0100

hoi :)

On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 03:23:07PM +0100, Stephan Feder wrote:
> And what is already there is a lot of meta information (see above). You 
> do not need that.

What information are you refering to?
Perhaps you have looked into my old branch?
The current implementation is in "module2".

> For example, in the index, if it is a commit (i.e. a subproject), store 
> the commit id (not the commit's tree id ).

This is exactly what I have done.

> Especially, extend update-index to be able to store a commit 
> instead of the tree.

Done, except that update-index never stores trees ;-)

> Or else, do not change what is recorded in the index. Then, at commit 
> time, you not only commit the superproject but also all subprojects.

But then submodules would be handled differently to files which I wanted
to avoid.

> To push and pull you have to extend the tools as well. That is the next 
> step.

Also done.

-- 
Martin Waitz