Subject: Re: [RFC] Submodules in GIT

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 21:54:32 +0000

On Friday 2006, December 01 21:37, Martin Waitz wrote:

> > I'm going to guess by reachability analysis, you mean that the
> > submodule doesn't know that some of it's commits are referenced by the
> > supermodule.  As I suggested elsewhere in the thread, that's easily
> > fixed by making a refs/supermodule/commitXXXX file for each
> > supermodule commit that references as particular submodule commit.
>
> I wouldn't call this "easily".

Of course it is; when you write a supermodule commit you have it's hash, 
$SUPERMODULE_HASH, you have the commit-hash of the submodule commit you're 
referencing, $SUBMODULE_HASH.  It's not really hard to do

echo $SUBMODULE_HASH > 
submodule/.git/refs/supermodules/commit$SUPERMODULE_HASH

Is it?

Andy

-- 
Dr Andrew Parkins, M Eng (Hons), AMIEE