Subject: Re: [RFC] Submodules in GIT

From: Martin Waitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 23:40:22 +0100

hoi :)

On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 11:26:22PM +0100, Josef Weidendorfer wrote:
> It's not about checking out part of the tree, it's about fetching only
> part of the objects: If you have a slow modem and want to clone a
> supermodule, you are not interested in fetching all the objects from
> some submodules.

So when you want to suppress one submodule, how is this not about only
checking out part of the tree?
Ok, you also want to avoid downloading the submodule, but you first have
to solve the partial checkout.

> BTW: In your submodule implementation, is the user allowed to change the
> relative path of the root of some submodule, e.g. with "git-mv" ?

In principle: yes.
However there are some links between both repositories that have to be
updated manually (for the shared object repository and for ignoring
submodule files in the supermodule).
But I expect that much of this configuration stuff will vanish when
submodules are better integrated in git.

Rename detection for submodules would be another interesting thing to
have. It should be much easier as for files because we can simply check
for common ancestors and do not have to guess based on the diff.

-- 
Martin Waitz