Subject: Re: [RFC] Submodules in GIT

From: Martin Waitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 21:12:42 +0100

hoi :)

On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 03:09:40PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Dec 2006, sf wrote:
> > If you do not want to fetch all of the supermodule then do not fetch the
> > supermodule.
> 
> So why do you want to limit it? There's absolutely no cost to saying "I 
> want to see all the common shared infrastructure, but I'm actually only 
> interested in this one submodule that I work with".

An interesting way to support this "only fetch some modules" use-case is
to use several supermodules.

So you could have one supermodule which is geared towards developers and
only contains the modules they use.  Another supermodule contails all
the toolchain sources.  And then there is the supermodule used for
releases which is just a merge of all the other supermodules.

The concept is so flexible that you don't have to introduce lots of
other things as module namespaces.  Just use the tools you have in a
creative way ;-)

-- 
Martin Waitz