Subject: Re: [RFC] Submodules in GIT

From: Martin Waitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 21:21:03 +0100

hoi :)

On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 11:52:13AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> I don't think it would be wrong at all to have a "link object" type, and 
> have the "link" tree entry actually point to that "link object" instead of 
> pointing directly to the commit in the submodule.
> 
> And yes, that extra indirection would allow for more flexibility (the 
> "link object" can contain comments about the particular version used, 
> pointers to where you can get it - whether human-readable or strictly 
> meant for automation - etc etc).

What makes a submodule so special that now we suddenly have to store
those stuff in the object database?

Storing a fetch location would grossly contradict the distributed nature
of git.  I really do not see _any_ reason to store more information than
the commit sha1 of the submodule.

-- 
Martin Waitz