Subject: Re: [RFC] Submodules in GIT

From: Martin Waitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 21:58:53 +0100

hoi :)

On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 12:46:01PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Dec 2006, Martin Waitz wrote:
> > 
> > What makes a submodule so special that now we suddenly have to store
> > those stuff in the object database?
> 
> I'm not sure it is. I suspect a pure commit link with just a CVS-style 
> "modules" file is sufficient. I'm just saying that I don't think it is 
> _wrong_ to possibly want to expand it.

If we later see that we really want to have it we can always introduce
it later.  I don't think we should do it now if we don't see clear
benefits _now_.

So I was not against the link object itself (initially I wanted to do it
this way, too), only agains the information which was proposed to be
stored there.  Up to now I haven't found anything which makes sense to
store next to the submodule commit to define the identity of the
submodule.

-- 
Martin Waitz