Subject: Re: [PATCH] Oops, get the commit first, then the tree.

From: Shawn Pearce <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 21:34:07 -0500

Robin Rosenberg <[email-masked]> wrote:
> This made the eclipse plugin unable to connect to Git.
...
> --- a/org.spearce.jgit/src/org/spearce/jgit/lib/Repository.java
> +++ b/org.spearce.jgit/src/org/spearce/jgit/lib/Repository.java
> @@ -168,7 +168,8 @@ public class Repository {
>      }
>  
>      public Tree mapTree(final String revstr) throws IOException {
> -	final ObjectId id = resolve(revstr);
> +	Commit commit = mapCommit(revstr);
> +	final ObjectId id = commit.getTreeId();
>  	return id != null ? mapTree(id) : null;

I don't want to apply the fix above because mapTree(String) should
be able to take an arbitrary SHA1 expression and return the Tree
object corresponding to that.  Your change only permits commits to
be resolved; but if the revstr resolved to a tag we'd need to peel
back the tag to get to the tree.  Ideally that should be done in
mapTree(ObjectId), based on the type of thing ObjectId points to.

I think the bug was caused by a recent breakage in Repository.mapTree
(42691339).  I fixed it in 020e0ee but neglected to push it out.
Actually I'm surprised mapTree(ObjectId) even works before 020e0ee;
I just don't see how its right...

--