Subject: Re: [RFC] Submodules in GIT

From: Martin Waitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 07:29:16 +0100

hoi :)

On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 01:55:08AM +0100, Josef Weidendorfer wrote:
> On Saturday 02 December 2006 21:24, Martin Waitz wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 12:17:44AM +0100, Josef Weidendorfer wrote:
> > > After some thinking, a submodule namespace even is important for checking
> > > out only parts of a supermodule, exactly because the root of a submodule
> > > potentially can change at every commit.
> > 
> > have you ever thought about the idea that the location may be an
> > important thing to consider for your decision.
> 
> Which decision, for what? Sorry, I do not understand.

to check out, or not to check out.

> What should such a general partial tree support look like? I suppose you
> want to configure paths which should not be checked out. As long as you
> say that a given submodule always has to exist at a given path, you are
> right: then, you can say: "Please, do not check out this submodule" which
> is the same as "Do not check out this path". 

You could say something like "do not check out anything below "test/".
If then some submodule moves from "test/foo" to "build/foo", it will be
checked out, because this module is now not only used for testing, but
is needed for building in the new version of the supermodule.

-- 
Martin Waitz