Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] gitfs pre-release 0.04

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 20:54:33 +0100

Mitchell Blank Jr wrote:
> Jakub Narebski wrote:
>
>> Not true. Symlink HEAD still works, and we have even core.preferSymlinkRefs
>> configuration variable.
> 
> Yes, but it has to be a symlink pointing into "refs/", not just a regular
> file holding a hash value.  Which is fine for most purposes but sort of a
> pain for me.
> 
> I'll probably have it be a symlink to "refs/gitfs-dynamic" or something and
> then have "refs" be populated with that synthetic file and symlinks to
> any of the normal contents of the refs directory.  Not too bad, but will
> take a little bit of code.

You would have to wait a bit. There was talk on git mailing list about
allowing HEAD to point to non-head ref, or even bare sha1, only forbidding
committing to such HEAD (but allowing checkout of arbitrary revision,
not only branch, but also remote branch, tag, or branch~n).
-- 
Jakub Narebski