Subject: Re: Moving a directory into another fails

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 10:36:13 +0100

Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Dec 2006, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> 
>> 	[core]
>> 		escapefilenames = true
> 
> I think this goes too far. The problem _only_ showed up with a made-up 
> test case for gitweb. Let's bite the apple when we _have_ to (which I 
> doubt will happen, because for the most part, developers understand that 
> spaces and umlauts have _no_ place in filenames, basically since UNIX was 
> invented by stupid US Americans who did not know anything about nice 
> filenames, let alone other languages than English and C).

No, the problem showed with stupid HFS+ which uses different encoding
for creating file, and different for readdir.

Perhaps we should remove gitweb/test directory, and move testing gitweb
to proper place, t/ directory. 

By the way, would it be correct to use external tools (if they exist),
namely HTMLtidy in gitweb output test to-be-written?
-- 
Jakub Narebski