Subject: Re: [PATCH] Explicitly add the default "git pull" behaviour to .git/config on clone

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 12:55:41 +0000

On Wednesday 2006 December 06 12:27, Jakub Narebski wrote:

> This doesn't help newbies if they do "git pull" on branch other than
> "master". Git would fetch (a) from default remote "origin" (which can
> be unexpected a bit) (b) into current branch (which can be very
> unexpected for newbie) (c) the first branch in remote (which can be
> very unexpected).

That's why I was suggesting to remove the default behaviour when there is no 
branch defined.  In that case git-pull would just exit with an appropriate 
message.

> Perhaps protected by config option and/or pull option... or perhaps not.
> Refuse pulling into current branch if it doesn.t have branch.<name>.remote
> matching current remote and doesn't have branch.<name>.merge entry, unless
> of course refspec is provided.

That's exactly what I meant; although your description is better.

Andy

-- 
Dr Andy Parkins, M Eng (hons), MIEE