Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (topics)

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 17:49:15 +0000

On Wednesday 2006, December 06 23:42, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> > * js/shallow (Fri Nov 24 16:00:13 2006 +0100)
> >
> >  Probably with a better documentation of its limitations and caveats,
> >  this should be mergeable to 'master'.
>
> The more I see the missing reaction, the less sure I am this is a sensible
> thing to do.

Don't be too downhearted.  I am certainly looking forward to using shallow 
clones; but by their very nature they are going to be used on big established 
projects (otherwise why would one need a shallow clone?), so until those 
projects upgrade their servers the news will be quiet

Also; it's probably going to be casual developers that find shallow clones 
useful, as the main developers will clone the whole repository.  This might 
also mean that they aren't going to be around on the git mailing list.

I certainly wouldn't say that the shallow clone work is not being appreciated.  
It's just being appreciated quietly.

Andy

-- 
Dr Andrew Parkins, M Eng (Hons), AMIEE