Subject: Re: kernel.org mirroring (Re: [GIT PULL] MMC update)

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 11:09:33 +0100

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On 12/10/06, Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Sending Last-Modified: should be easy; sending ETag needs some consensus
>> on the contents: mainly about validation. Responding to If-Modified-Since:
>> and If-None-Match: should cut at least _some_ of the page generating time.
>> If ETag can be calculated on URL alone, then we can cut If-None-Match:
>> just at beginning of script.
> 
> Indeed. Let me add myself to the pileup agreeing that a combination of
> setting Last-Modified and checking for If-Modified-Since for
> ref-centric pages (log, shortlog, RSS, and summary) is the smartest
> scheme. I got locked into thinking ETags.

Sometimes it is easier to use ETags, sometimes it is easier to use
Last-Modified:. Usually you can check ETag earlier (after calling
git-rev-list) than Last-Modified (after parsing first commit). But
some pages doesn't have natural ETag...

Besides, because ETag is HTTP/1.1 we should provide and validate
both.

P.S. Any hints to how to do this with CGI Perl module?
-- 
Jakub Narebski