Subject: Re: Collection of stgit issues and wishes

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 00:37:54 +0100

Catalin Marinas wrote:
> On 10/12/06, Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Catalin Marinas wrote:
>>> Yes, only for updating HEAD. The refs in refs/patches/<branch>/ are
>>> written directly. I initialy wanted to add patch history support using
>>> reflogs and added "git-update-ref -m ..." for the patch commits but I
>>> found slow the pushing operation a bit. Do you only want to track the
>>> reflogs for HEAD?
>>
>> Yes, I want for StGit to provide reasons when updating HEAD. I know that
>> StGit manages it's own versioning of patches not using reflog -- fine.
>> What matters for me is reflog for HEAD after "stg commit; stg clean".
> 
> Just curious, do you run the "stg commit; stg clean" commands together
> and in this order? Neither of them would update the HEAD. The "commit"
> command simply removes the StGIT metadata for the applied patches
> since it no longer needs to track them (permanently stored to the
> repository). It doesn't change HEAD. The "clean" command only affects
> the HEAD if there are empty applied patches but after a "commit" there
> won't be any patches (only the unapplied ones which do not affect
> HEAD).
> 
> Maybe we could have reflog info for "push", "refresh", some undo
> operations. Are they of any use (I haven't used them so I can't tell)?

Ooops, I haven't been clear enough.

I meant that afer "stg commit; stg clean" I won't have any StGIT metadata,
but I'd have git metadata in reflog.

I'd like to have info in reflog for each command which changes head;
for example "push", "refresh", perhaps "pop", "float", "uncommit".
Just so I don't have long sequence of ref changes in reflog without
description of said changes after some work with StGIT on branch.

BTW. currently I use StGIT to manage a series of commits on feature
branch which implements step-by-step single feature, and would be
later send as a patch series. With StGIT I can work on final patch
in series, notice that underlying feature developed in earlier patch
(earlier commit) needs modification, so I do refresh, pop until
given patch, change patch, push all, and work on patch. Or for example
if I notice that I'd have to implement some basic feature separately,
best at beginning: pop all, create new patch etc. Very nice.

-- 
Jakub Narebski