Subject: Re: What's in git.git (stable)

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 10:03:57 +0000

On Thursday 2006 December 14 09:36, Shawn Pearce wrote:

> But I'm not sure that git-add should output anything.  Last I checked
> the 'mv' command in Linux doesn't say "Move 5 files" when I move 5
> files into a directory.  Likewise I don't think that knowing that
> 6781 files were added is useful, what if it should have really been
> 6782 files?  I'm unlikely to know, care, or realize it.

That's a very particular example you've picked out there.  Of course the user 
won't know if it should be 6781 or 6782; they might know if it should have 
been 2 or 10 though; 0 or 100.  In your example, output like "about six and a 
half thousand", would probably be perfectly useful, but why not just output 
the number?

> Your niggle list (is that what you called it) has been useful
> fodder for discussion.  I'm glad you took the time to write it up,
> and to argue it so well on the list.  There's a number of items on
> it that I'd like to see happen too; enough that I may code some of
> them if nobody beats me to it.

I'm glad it was useful.  I never know how many disclaimers to put on these 
things.  I always feel that every message I write should begin with "I love 
git and use it every day, so please don't take this the wrong way, but..."

Andy
-- 
Dr Andy Parkins, M Eng (hons), MIEE