Subject: Re: What's in git.git (stable)

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 21:02:42 +0000

On Thursday 2006, December 14 17:23, Nicolas Pitre wrote:

> Well, people are used to say they've "reverted" a change.  Although the
> command might appear slightly misnamed wrt its operation, it still does
> what most people are expecting from such a name.

Actually , not only is git-revert misnamed, it doesn't match up with most 
other SCMs.

"svn revert" is git-reset.
"bzr revert" is git-reset.
"darcs revert" is git-reset.
"hg revert" is git-reset.
"svk revert" is git-reset.
"monotone revert" is git-reset.

Most people must surely be expecting it to do what it does in every other SCM; 
as it doesn't my argument is that we should just drop the name "revert" and 
call it git-invert instead, which is more accurately named and doesn't 
conflict with the standard meaning.

Andy
-- 
Dr Andrew Parkins, M Eng (Hons), AMIEE