Subject: Re: [PATCH] "master" should be treated no differently from any other branch

From: Shawn Pearce <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 16:57:25 -0500

Andy Parkins <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Thursday 2006, December 14 21:30, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> 
> > I guess that question indicates that the part of my message you
> > did not quote was not written cleanly enough.
> 
> It was; I'm just stupid.
> 
> Let's make the special case "linux-master" and then Linus gets what he wants 
> and consistency is restored.
> 
> No?  Okay, I give up then. :-)

What about we do instead:

	[branch]
		mergeMessageTemplate = "Merge '%(remoteref)' from '%(remoteurl)' into '%(localref)'
%(summary)"
	[branch "master"]
		mergeMessageTemplate = "Merge '%(remoteref)' from '%(remoteurl)'
%(summary)"

?  IOW let the user supply the merge template message in the
repository config somehow and use string placeholders like what
show-ref accepts?  Then the default can be to not have the "into" at
all, and Linus surely could just set his branch.mergeMessageTemplate
to a string which gives him the message that he and his fellow
kernel hackers find to be useful?

--