Subject: Re: svn versus git

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 12:08:54 +0000

On Friday 2006 December 15 11:27, Jakub Narebski wrote:

> > $ git-ls-tree v1.0.0
> > 100644 blob 906e98492080d2fde9467a9970fc92d7a8cfeaf8    Makefile
> >
> > I'm a newbie:  what's that number at the front?  What's a blob?  What's
> > that great big number - I've only seen commit hashes that look like that,
> > and that isn't one.  Definitely not friendly.
>
> The number in front is octal mode of a file or directory. "blob"
> is a file (or symbolic link), "tree" is a directory, all of this
> can be found in git(7).

Sorry, when I said "I'm a newbie", I meant "pretend I'm a newbie" :-)

My point was that this is all too confusing for a newbie; the fact that you 
had to descend to talk about SHA-1 and blob hashes, really serves to 
strengthen my point.  What does a non-developer care about hashes, blobs, 
trees, commits, or objects?

In this case however, I withdrew my complaint because it's argued that 
git-ls-files is not the right tool for this purpose anyway.

Andy
-- 
Dr Andy Parkins, M Eng (hons), MIEE