Subject: Re: git-fetch fails with error code 128

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 22:12:55 +0000

On Friday 2006, December 15 21:55, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Thanks --- very much appreciated.  When it comes to
> inter-repository object transfer, we take compatibility very
> seriously.

Okay.  Before I started bisecting I thought I'd do some other experiments.  
Having tested fetch from remote and a fetch from local and finding the same 
results, I've done all the tests locally.

So; here goes.  I've got these directories:

 linux-partial/   (this is every patch from v1.0.0 to v2.1.63)
 linux-full/      (this is every patch from v1.0.0 to v2.5.75)

linux-partial/ is the one I reported the original error on, later I confirmed 
that the same error happened with a local fetch from linux-full.  I cloned 
both of these.

 linux-partial-clone/  (made with git clone linux-partial linux-partial-clone)
 linux-full-clone/     (made with git clone linux-full linux-full-clone)

Tests:
 - A fetch from linux-full to linux-partial, this one failed with error 128
 - A fetch from linux-full-clone to linux-partial, this one failed with
   error 128
 - A fetch from linux-full to linux-partial-clone, this one succeeded
 - A fetch from linux-full-clone to linux-partial-clone, this one succeeded
   (unsurprisingly)

Next I ran git-prune in linux-partial.  The fetch then succeeded.  Bizarre.

So, the strange result is that it is a difference in the destination directory 
that is triggering the error, and whatever that fault is is fixed by 
git-cloning that destination repository, or git-pruning the destination.

Unfortunately I've now lost my test case, because the prune fixed it.  Bah.  
Oh well, this fault can be marked "on hold until I get it to fail again".

Andy

-- 
Dr Andrew Parkins, M Eng (Hons), AMIEE