Subject: Re: Subprojects tasks

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 00:15:23 +0100

Hi!

Martin Waitz wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 07:45:11PM +0100, Jakub Narebski wrote:
>>
>> Or .gitlink file, if we decide to implement it (as lightweight checkout and
>> support for submodules which one can easily move/rename).
> 
> I still don't get the advantage of a .gitlink file over an ordinary
> repository with alternates or a symlink.

Moving or renaming the directory with a submodule. With alternates,
when you rename or move directory with a submodule, you have to add
alternate for new place / new name, or alter existing alternate.
With symlinks you risk broken symlinks.

When using alternates-like modules file, you can regenerate or
generate "alternates" on checkout, but...

With .gitlink file you can specify GIT_DIR sor submodule as given
directory relative to this directory or one of its parents, so you
can rename and move submodules freely.

P.S. The second (first?) purpose of .gitlink is to be able to have
lightweight checkout, i.e. more than one working area associated with
one repository.

P.P.S. Cc to the author of current .gitlink proposal, to Josef
Weidendorfer.
  Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
  http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/33755
-- 
Jakub Narebski