Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH] Implement poor-man's submodule support using commit hooks

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 14:35:48 +0000

On Wednesday 2006 December 20 13:36, Martin Waitz wrote:

> I started with something similiar, too.
> You can have a look at http://git.admingilde.org/tali/git.git/module
> which tries to implement submodules without changing the core.

I had a look at that; and my previous objection still applies: it blends two 
repositories.  I'd rather they were separate.

Having them separate is what makes my little hook scripts really simple; there 
is no special initialisation script needed, and the neither the supermodule 
nor the submodule needs special treatment; and there is no need for any 
alternates or new object type.  If I want to forget about submodule support I 
just delete the .gitmodules file and it's all back to normal.

I don't say you're wrong in your chosen method, and I don't say I'm right.  I 
wasn't really planning on going much further with these scripts, they 
actually represent all that I personally want from a submodule system, I am 
sure others would want far more sophistication.

Andy

-- 
Dr Andy Parkins, M Eng (hons), MIEE