Subject: specify charset for commits (Was: [PATCH] Fix documentation copy&paste typo)

From: Uwe Kleine-König <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:59:07 +0100

Hello Junio,

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Me, keyboard and Emacs screwed up and stored it in ISO-2022
> instead of UTF-8.  Sorry.
It's a pity, but too late to change.[1]

What do you think about a patch that makes git-commit-tree call iconv on
its input to get it to UTF-8 (or any other charset).  Maybe it
makes sense to add another header to commit objects (e.g.
"charset UTF-8") if something in the commit object is non-ASCII?

In my eyes it would make sense to even force UTF-8 for commit logs (and
author, committer).  The downside is that it becomes impossible to store
arbitrary byte sequences in commit objects.  (IMHO not a real
limitation.)

Best regards
Uwe

[1] actually I think it's worse, because my iconv (from Debian's libc6
    version 2.3.6.ds1-8) was unable to convert it correctly to utf-8 for
    any encoding that starts with ISO-2022.

-- 
Uwe Kleine-König

http://www.google.com/search?q=sin%28pi%2F2%29