Subject: Re: specify charset for commits (Was: [PATCH] Fix documentation copy&paste typo)

From: Uwe Kleine-König <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 14:43:38 +0100

Hello,

Jakub Narebski wrote:
> Alexander Litvinov wrote:
> 
> >>> What do you think about a patch that makes git-commit-tree call iconv on
> >>> its input to get it to UTF-8 (or any other charset).
> >>
> >> We had this discussion over and over again. Last time (I think) was here:
> >> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/11710
> >> Summary: we do not want to force the use of utf8.
> > 
> > May we can add new header into commit with commit text encoding ?
> 
> I think it should be repository-wide decision. And we have
> i18n.commitEncoding configuration variable
The disadvantage from a repository-wide decision is that you cannot
change it after a while.

I didn't know that variable, but I think as it exists,
git-commit-tree should iconv the commit message from local to
i18n.commitEncoding before writing it.

Moreover I like the idea of a new header for commits specifing the
encoding.  Git could default to the handling as it is now (i.e. just
bytes) if the header is missing.

Best regards
Uwe

-- 
Uwe Kleine-König

http://www.google.com/search?q=1+newton+in+kg*m+%2F+s%5E2